Need to file for Unemployment?

If you were laid off or had your work hours reduced due to COVID-19, you can file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim. COVID-19 related reasons include: Your hours were reduced, or You were separated from your employer, or You are subject to quarantine, or Your children's school is closed and you must stay home to provide child care.

If you are eligible, the EDD processes and issues payments within a few weeks of receiving a claim. The State waived the one-week unpaid waiting period.

Your benefits can range from $40 to $450 per week and from 13 to 26 weeks. Use the Unemployment Insurance Calculator to help estimate your potential weekly benefit amount.

File a claim here.

Can’t work because you’re sick?

Employees who are sick should not be going to work. SF requires employers pay you your normal rate while you are sick.

The city has created a program to help employers pay for extra sick leave. If your employer is not giving you enough sick leave, call 415-554-6271 or email [email protected].

If you are friendly with your employer, tell them they can get help paying sick leave from the city. They can read Frequently Asked Questions here and the City’s step-by-step program guide, or call 415-554-6134​. They can apply here.

Did you get exposed to and contract COVID-19 at work?

If you contracted COVID-19 while conducting your job, you may be eligible for workers compensation. To file a claim, visit

Are you unable to work because of medical quarantine or COVID-19 related illness?

You may be eligible for State Disability Insurance. Start by using the Disability Insurance Calculator to help estimate your potential benefit amount.

Are you a restaurant, bar, or other hospitality / service industry worker in need of financial assistance?

Several organizations are providing emergency grants to service industry employees. Different grants have different eligibility requirements, and may close for periods of time due to a high volume of applicants.

For Food, Beverage, and Service workers:

For Restaurant workers:

For Restaurant, Delivery, and other Tipped and Service Workers:

For Bartenders (or the spouses/children of bartenders):

For Food/Beverage workers who have children and have tested positive for COVID-19 (or who reside in the household of someone who has tested positive):

Have another issue not listed here?

Call the city's Worker Information Line at 415-701-4817 or email them at [email protected]

You can also try calling your District Supervisor. Contact information available at